April 24, 2012 § 1 Comment
I can’t believe it’s almost time. Fortunately for me, the little one has decided to stay in there and not come out early, so hopefully she can wait 2 more days. Strangely enough, I feel emotional not because I’m going to meet her so soon, but because my poor cat will no longer be the baby in this household. He won’t be able to sit on my lap whenever he wants, and certainly not as many cuddles as he gets now. Lately I’ve been picking him up frequently and randomly, just when he’s sleeping soundly or minding his own business, and hugging the crap out of him. Poor Frodo. He (and myself included) has no idea what we’re in for.
March 3, 2012 § Leave a comment
The other day I decided I was going to spend 4 hours of my afternoon sitting on a chair at my hairdresser’s, getting my hair permanently straightened. I normally have my hair straight-permed annually, but due to the pregnancy, I had been delaying it due to stories of horrible chemicals seeping in through scalp to be passed onto the baby resulting in mutant baby. I relayed this story to my doctor who pooh-poohed it and told me I can do whatever I could damn well like with my hair. So, after the baby is born, with the foresight of not having enough time to even have a shower (friends’ true stories, apparently), I thought if I’m going to be that gross body-wise, at least I should have nice hair.
Contrary to popular belief, I’ve come to discover that a good hairdresser does not necessarily have to be a trendily dressed woman with funky hair, or a gay man. My hairdresser is grossly fat, has a half-grown moustache/goatee, possesses no fashion sense, smells like stale cigarettes, and is completely un-gay (married with 2 children, even). But he is the only one who can turn my unmanageable coarse Asian hair into soft, straight, beautiful-looking hair, with an amazing cut. Thanks, Ronnie.
January 15, 2012 § Leave a comment
The new year has come and gone, and I don’t like making resolutions, only because I don’t want to give myself any additional chores to fulfil. I think I’ve got enough to deal with, and lately, with a baby on the way, I’ve found myself knee-deep in the most uninteresting of things – breastfeeding accessories. Recently I have developed an aversion to sharing too much of my private life online, but today, I’m lamenting my previous life as an world explorer turned unexpected single parent. Perhaps I should change the name of my blog. Anyway, I have discovered that breastfeeding a baby is not as simple as one might imagine. One would think that it would just be a matter of shoving the little thing onto your nipple and it would just happen automatically. It turns out that apparently it is not so. It is not so at all, which is why devices such as breast-pumps have been invented, along with a whole range of accompaniments for what promises to be an uncomfortable experience such as nipple shields, creams, and a list of stuff I really hope I won’t need. Nevertheless, I do like to be prepared, so with roughly 3 more months to go, I’m slowly, very slowly, preparing myself for the onslaught that is sure to come. All this turmoil, for so tiny a thing. I’m actually worried the cat might develop some kind of complex as well.
December 26, 2011 § 2 Comments
It’s been a while since I last posted something, only because I wasn’t sure if I wanted to document the last few months online. However, 2011 has been pretty significant in ways I never imagined, so I thought I would just summarize the year by doing my favourite thing: make a list.
1. I struggled through a few months of depression and sought counselling. I later realized it was the product of a bad relationship which brought out the worst in me. The relationship died a natural death and it wasn’t until the middle of the year that I felt more like myself again.
2. I adopted a kitten, Frodo. Although sometimes he really tests my patience, he has brought me more comfort and amusement than counselling ever did. In the 6 months I’ve had him, he’s learnt to play fetch, growl, and come to me when I call for him.
3. I travelled to South America, and saw amazing places.
4. I met someone who made me happier in a week than I had been in over 2 years. Unfortunately he had to leave the country after that week.
5. Last but not least, I’m preparing myself to be a single parent. Yes, that is correct.
2012 will be challenging.
September 16, 2011 § Leave a comment
September 13, 2011 § Leave a comment
August 18, 2011 § Leave a comment
It was a weekday afternoon and I was sitting on a weathered old park bench enjoying yet another day of sunshine this winter had decided to present to us. There was a man practicing his saxophone under a gazebo nearby, and I listened to the sweet music wafting through the air along with the cool breeze amongst the trees. It is a serenity I haven’t felt in the longest time, and it seemed an odd sensation. In fact, it made me happy, quite unexpectedly, just like events that transpired in recent weeks. Just a few random things that contributed to this:
1. Frodo has learnt to play fetch. It only seems to work with small bits of paper and my hairbands but it’s very amusing.
2. I met a real gentleman recently who treated me like I deserve to be treated. He brought out the best in me.
3. Sydney is beautiful to live in. Where else would winter give us 27 degree afternoons?
4. I took a 6-day long weekend not long ago to. Just because I wanted to spend time with people I liked.
That’s kind of enough.