April 23, 2011 § Leave a comment
I have spent my last day in South America at Palermo Soho in Buenos Aires, shopping, and eating rather awful ‘oriental’ food. I have been alone and am now slightly drunk but incredibly cheerful to have found a quaint bookstore on my way back to the hotel. Yes, I have been staying in hotels this time around. Flashpacking, as you may want to call it.
Very glad to be leaving. Honestly I have not enjoyed South America very much. Mainly, the things I will not miss at all:
1. The bland and boring food everywhere. Besides empanadas, pìzzas and pasta, there are not many varieties.
2. Bad and extremely slow service at any food establishment. Expect to wait at least 45 minutes for food to arrive. Even water takes a minimum of 20 minutes. Also they always get orders wrong so go back and forth countless times. Patience is a virtue over here.
3. The cold weather and general unfriendliness of the place.
Things I may miss:
1. The beautiful landscapes.
2. Cheap shopping.
As an overall experience, I doubt I will ever make my way back here. Realized I am just a city girl who needs warm weather and creature comforts. Perhaps my wanderlust is gone, or I have tired of travelling alone. After 3 weeks, all I think about are people and work in Sydney. Sign of old age?
To Mexico tomorrow.
April 18, 2011 § 1 Comment
1. Clean clothes. The feeling of putting on freshly laundered jeans and t-shirt straight from the dryer is a warm and fuzzy feeling. Wish you could see the big beam on my face.
2. Sat in the park and a dog appeared out of nowhere and decided to lay its head on my lap.
3. Sleeping and watching TV.
The journey has been long, intensive, and not very pleasant.